Effective communication for the workplace
This course explores the importance of communicating effectively in the workplace setting
This course explores the importance of communicating effectively in the workplace setting, emphasizing its relation to performance, harmony, interpersonal engagements and productivity. The course would provide exposure to both verbal and written aspects of business communication.
Target Group: Supervisors and Line Staff in small, medium and large business establishments.
MODULE 1 – Elements of communication
- Why communicate in business
- Communication fundamentals
- Communicating for results
- Communication and self-awareness
- Conflict resolution
MODULE 2 – Writing in the workplace
- Instant messaging
- Letters (complaints, requests)
MODULE 3 – Speaking in the workplace
- Impromptu speaking
- Instructions vs requests
- Corrections and reprimands
MODULE 4 – Practical aspects of communication
- Setting up and using presentation equipment
- Using word processors
- Minimizing communication errors
- Instant messaging (keeping it formal)
Method of Assessment
At the end of the course, students will be required to prepare a portfolio on the various elements of communication via a power point presentation.