Intro to Financial Accounting
Students new to the subject of Accounting, Small Business Owners, Secondary School leavers and Accounts’ Clerks.
This course will expose participants to the introductory concepts & principles of Accounting. It will also give an overview of the many different careers in the field of accounting. The course is structured in such a way that participants will be introduced to small business and how the problems of Accounting arise, and how the various concepts of Accounting deal with these problems.
* The Accounting Equation and the Balance Sheet
* Assets, Liabilities & Capital
* The double entry system for assets, liabilities and capital.
* Accounting Concepts
* The Assumption of the stability of currency
* Balancing of Accounts.
* Accounts for Debtors
* Accounts for Creditors
* Computers & Accounts
* The Journal
* Main Books of original entry
* Typical uses of the Journal
* The Accounting Cycle
* Cash Books
* Discount Columns in Cash Books
* Bank Reconciliation Statements
* Bank Overdrafts
* Dishonoured Cheques
* The Trial Balance
* Trading Profit & Loss Account: An Introduction
* Balance Sheet
* Trading Profit & Loss Account and Balance Sheets: Further considerations
class & home assignment on each topic, and a final examination